27 March 2011

Expedition to the Far North

1

This is the reason I came to Sutherland - a Google Earth view of Sandwood Bay - a bit of a hike but I had it all to myself.  Furthest North West you can go without entering the Cape Wrath Range


Views from ground level - its pretty isolated - so I was carrying full survival gear and my PLB



Then a rapid yomp back to the car and a long drive across the top of Scotland - almost no one lives up here.  2 people per square km - along with Outer Mongolia and Western Sahara - where I live it is 9,600.

This is Ben Hope - the most Northerly Munroe

Then driving from rugged Sutherland into bleak Caithness...

It its so safe why do they put it "as far as it is possible get from Surrey and still be on the mainland?



It is NOT John o' Groats but Dunnet Head that is the most northerly point in mainland Britain - and for a few minutes I was the most northerly inhabitant - really good 3G signal as well - so why can't I get the same in Birmingham?






This is the scene at John o' Groats - what a disappointing end to so many 900+ mile charity rides/walks/pushes.  Sad memorials to folks that were killed on the way from Land's End and an abandoned and derelict hotel.


The have not even bothered to put the sign up - you have to pay!


There is still a mad building boom - this is a 5 bedroomed house going up right on the cliffs to the west of John o Groat's.  Caithness is very bleak in the spring - in midwinter it must be dreich.  Later in my Inverness hotel I learned that many farmers have lost money developing 'executive' homes that have not sold.

 Time for bed (The Castletown Hotel - which cost me only £25, I got a fantastic carvery meal, free WiFi and only 15 minutes drive to the ferry next morning). 
Sadly the Queen Mum's castle (close by) does not open until April

No comments: