01 June 2012

One more chance for Mr Gates?

I have not bought anything from Microsoft since 2002 - a single copy of XP

While I am quite happy with Ubuntu, my current OS of choice, I am getting rather out of touch with Windows - and they are threatening us with upgrades at the office.

So here comes Microsoft asking me to download and try

Windows 8 Release Preview


 "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/iso"

So a 2.5GB download and a successful SHA-1 check later here goes...

0x80070003 is typically associated with Window Update getting itself confused
Oops - I get this message somewhere after 60% of the way through "getting files ready for installation".

at least I did not part with any cash and it is only a preview - but you would have hoped it could find all its installation files in the .ISO image

...after some digging about I have now managed to get beyond this point and I am now stuck in 'reboot loops'...

but wait - it is now asking for a favourite colour combination and a logon ID - and now "your PC will be ready in a moment" - so I am off to make a cup of tea...

and come back to this...


...this is going to be interesting.

No comments: