30 May 2012

A short walk to Frankfurt Airport (Is this possible?)


My meeting at Vulcan High Command having finished on time at 16:00 and having 6 hours before my flight home I decided to try walking to Frankfurt Airport.  I noticed there was a very nice forest under the flightpath (BMI using the new western runway) and reckoned there ought to be some way across the railway, autobahn and other obstacles into the airport...

This track appears to be going the right way
Occupied by a young, and very noisy, woodpecker - sadly camera shy
Ohhhh - wild strawberries!
Yup - still heading in the right direction
The signpost says it is 3.5km more to the viewing point - but I want departures - and that is just across the road/autobahn/railway/perimeter road/etc.
Getting close now (the new train station) - but there does not seem a way in - perhaps I can get up into that bridge

Aha! Just need to get across the busy road
No luck - its a fire escape - and security locked at the top

Wait - these two businessmen appear to have a local minder - I will follow (and the police stopped the traffic so they could cross)
Success!
and my reward - €17 of sausages from all the regions
It would have been easier (but less fun) with a map - I walked from Lyoner Strasse (near the river bridge) to point A.

No comments: