21 June 2012

June Washout? June Jaunter!

Every year since 1983 Harlequins have run the June Jaunter - a run over the Clent Hills.  I have been running since 1987 and tonight's race was the coldest and wettest I have even known - and for the first time the clouds were down over both Four Stones and Walton Hills...

A cold and wet Peter, marshaling at the 4-stones

It is mid-summer and that is Robert Vickers (organiser and competitor).  Robert is 20 years older than me but as we have 29 years of results I know that I am slower than he was at my age... more training required.

Pat Pay - Ex Harlequin.  Fastest time 30:32 in 1990 - exactly the same time as son Richard.  I note this year that Richard was given a head start.

It stopped raining and for about 5 minutes the summit was above the cloud layer

Looking towards Hagley Park* - We are only about two miles from the Black Country conurbation.  *No not that one in New Zealand - this one

Marshalling at 4 stones - I met the manager for Wetherspoons Oldbury (one of their most up market establishments) - Simon says I should pay a visit and while enjoying breakfast I should be a witness for his staff that he is capable of running all the way up to the top from Halesowen.  The restaurant is right next to where my family were living 'between the wars'.
My fastest time was 21:02 in 1990 - when the record was set (Barry Parkinson 18:59 which is stunning for 5km on rough paths and about 210m climb and descent)

No comments: