25 May 2012

Through a Glass Very Darkly (Indeed) - Birmingham Giant Screen (ex-IMAX)




Disappointing experience at the Giant Screen Cinema, Birmingham, UK

I have been an irregular customer of the IMAX/Giant Screen - visiting when there is something where the visuals might be expected to be truly spectacular and therefore benefit from "big screen-high-resolution" presentation.

Star Trek was so brilliant and visually stunning on the IMAX 2D - that I came back for a second visit - dragging my sister along for the repeat viewing
Similarly Avatar - I think it was three times to the IMAX for me.

but with the new glasses and new projection system* - so disappointing

*It is not at IMAX anymore

3D

I am guessing that Avengers Assemble was not shot in 3D so I won't comment on this.

Through A Glass Very Darkly




Avengers 3D - can you tell what it is yet?

The image was dim - even the bright daylight scenes were dim - and in the dark scenes - a lot of information was lost in the shadows.

Colours were dull and the pictures were murky.  This spoiled my enjoyment.

Removing the glasses made it clear that this was due to the dark polarizing lenses .


I know this is a problem with 3D - but you would thought that the "giant screen" projectors could compensate for the "double loss" due to polarisation.

Viewmaster 2012



Tunnel Vision


I felt that the new, smaller, 3D glasses were cropping my vision - I know that E19 is a "forward" seat and on careful inspection I could see nearly all of the screen without moving my head but the small size of the lenses and the thick black frame made it feel like I was looking through a tunnel, binoculars or a "Viewmaster"


Result

These two factors combined made the experience less than immersive and overall disappointing.  Certainly the advantage that the IMAX had over competing Birmingham cinemas appears to have been lost. 

In addition the queue for sweeties/food/drinks was long; I had to give up waiting and go see the movie even though I arrived 35 minutes before screening time.

If we combine the higher cost of tickets, rather steep online booking fee (£2.75), very long queues, need to drive into the city and then pay for off street parking I can't imagine I will be making another visit until a better experience can be guaranteed

Action

This is not really a complaint - it is more of a begging letter

I want to see things like Prometheus or Dark Knight or Star Trek II at their best:

On a whopping big screen with stunning visuals and sound that bounces me out of my seat - its just a shame that, unless things change at the Giant Screen, that is not going to be anywhere in Birmingham.


I am happy to pay extra for better - but not for "same".


Yours

David Williams

Off to see Prometheus in 2D at Empire Great Park because in 3D I might as well just close my eyes:

It appears to be a bit of a dark movie - I think I need to see it in 2D first














No comments: