02 May 2012

5km in 7:42 - a new PB



The lightly manned bridge - I learn later that there are at least 4 "master/captain" qualified staff aboard - and it takes many years and much under-graduate and post-graduate study and examination to get a British Masters Ticket - nice to know - contrast with Costa Concordia

At last a sunny day - we have gone South to avoid ice (it gets further down into the Atlantic in Spring than in Winter - melting up North releases bergs that then drift).  They are playing deck quoits
Yes indeed - the North Atlantic

This is the Britannia Dining Room - the basic dining option (if you ignore the self service Kings Court was seemed popular with American guests - in preference to wonderful food and wonderful service in the Dining Room.  Weird.)
With a cruising speeds between of 26 and 30 knots the QM2 is much faster than other cruise ships.  However the only sign we are going at this speed is the wobbling-knives:



I came for the Engineering Lecture - excellent - and there was a charity auction - the voyage navigation charts - sadly way out of my range
I also attended the Air Force One Lecture - a journalist who had flown with all the last 9 presidents - lots of interesting stories - No dirt was dropped on George H Bush's presidency in deference to Barbara who was in the audience

Just mucking about with my camera

George and Barbara Bush were about - George uses a little electric scooter to get around but Barbara relies on a stick

QM2 Promenade and Running Course (length is open to debate - depends what route you take when crossing the stern and exactly which published figure you want to believe
I don't know what the wood is - teak possibly - but it remains pretty much non-slip even when very wet - impressive.  A diplomatic incident was avoided by dint of a vigilant secret serviceman flagging me down - going for my 10 lap PB I would have taken out the former First Lady if I had continued on at pace round this corner.
GPS track is no good of course - this is my "parkrun" - 5km in 7.42

Another evening - another formal dinner...

This elegant gentleman cruises the world - originally from Germany but British now for many years
Two fun Northern Lads - not at our table (sadly)

It is a masked dinner... though not many joined in

I have them all drinking Martinis now




As it is our last formal dinner all the kitchen staff parade through the dining salon - to loud applause.  I am sure I have seen the MC somewhere before...

This is "Kickan" - and we are all off to the big show

Which was V. Good



No comments: