07 April 2012

Three Legs @ Easter: Leg 1 - Plane, Walk, Train, Tram, Tram, Tram, Walk

Cashing in my Costa points at BHX - "we have not seen you for a while in this terminal Mr Williams"
Then off by Flybe to
Ronaldsway Airport, IOM

I believe this is the only airport in the world with scheduled connections by

Steam train to the national capital

Isle of Man Sea Terminal - bonkers design but a rather good tourist info section and amazing that something built in concrete in the mid '60s survives.

In Douglas there is "The Chocolate Fairy" - I thought he worked in O-block-bottom but, anyway, nice (and warm! It was freezing on the promenade)

The Electric Railway - Actually a tramway

The IOM has a rather good integrated public transport network - no need to hire a car at all.
Basic controls on the tram

"Nothings too good for my Louise - get the best tractor out"


Warning - dress up warm if travelling on the Snaefell Mountain Railway.



Especially if you are going to the summit (2036ft)



Summit cafe "manned" by an multi-generational but all male crew - 20 minutes of quiet followed by 10 of mayhem as the twice hourly tram arrives.  I approve of the confectionery display - 100% from Skarbimierz




Back down from the mountain - it is still getting colder.  The power is out on the southbound line and the conductor suggests that I head up to Ramsey and then back - by which time it should all be fixed

Ohh - I do love a bit of gorse - and so did Linneaus*
 *"In 1736 he came over to London for a brief meeting with patrons and gardeners at the Chelsea Physic Garden. His visit here left a story that always comes to my mind in an English spring. When he landed in England he is said to have fallen on his knees and wept for joy at the sight of common old English gorse bushes."

Full story: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4cb70adc-5762-11dc-9a3a-0000779fd2ac.html#ixzz1x3GUjC1t


Oh - and my Grandfather and Father are named after him.  We have no idea why.



The out and back journey was pretty but now, after 5 hours in a series of increasingly draughty trams with the wind blowing in direct from the Irish Sea I am chilled to the bone




It is getting dark and I pass up the once-in-a-year chance for a guided tour of Tower of Refuge on St Mary's Isle

When in Douglas you must have Queen Scallops

Amazingly tasty - sadly I can't remember exactly what it was but the Chef received personal congratulations - so surprising to find such excellent food in such prosaic surroundings

This is not my hotel (the Glen Mona) but the Headquarters - which is where you get fed.  Yes - it was army headquarters during WWII - selected because of its commanding view


...and my review - I gave it a 9.6



No comments: