08 April 2012

Leg 2 - of Kippers and Sticky Toffee

Manx Kippers for breakfast - a bit salty but has to be done

Its going to be a grey, wet and blustery day

Mr Norman Wisdom, Albanian hero and all round good egg

Back to the station - which also does amazing breakfasts

Departing Castletown - there are few places you can't get to by public transport

Not a lot going on - but I was recommended to tour the castle...

Lots to see but the heating had failed - and the staff were so, so very cold

The tourist season has yet to start - most places were very shut  but on the train I was told "go and eat at my daughter in-law's cafe at the bowling green" - I did - the food was very good - especially the cakes.





My hire car was not available until 18:00 so I went for an increasingly cold and wet walk round the coast and to the airport - in 5 hours I saw precisely one dog walker and a pink wellie shod family group out for an Easter up Balladoole Hill

Now mobile I was able to visit...


Tynwald Hill

Spectacularly located and the original site of the oldest continuous parliamentary body in the world
I had the place entirely to my self - rather atmospheric.  And then round part of the TT course (I was the slowest thing on the road) to the Glen Helen* Inn

To close the day with Sticky Toffee Pudding (and yes, a glass of whisky)
*The Isle of Man is famous for and justly proud of its glens - as I was to discover next morning

No comments: