31 August 2012

What a busy (and interesting) landscape

...driving back from Marwell Zoo, and a visit to my father in Winchester I felt sleepy - as a precaution I pulled over at the next exit and parked up in a small carpark adjacent to the A34 (location)

Turn here for Beacon Hill

What a surprise and what a treat - so much going on (or has gone on in this landscape).

View toward Watership Down



Highlights for me were:

  • The view over to Watership Down (of book and development protest fame) and north to the Ridgeway and Highclere Castle.
Highclere Castle from Beacon Hill


  • The vine filled calcareous woodland (pretty much the whole UK gamut of native creepers)
  • The open grassland with so many unusual plants - most of which I recognise and some of which I can name.  Also non-standard trees/shrubs - juniper, privetbuckthornwayfaring tree and whitebeam.  Contrary to the Wikipedia entry there are yew  and ash present in the scrub - but I don't feel confident to make an update.
Wild Juniper - lots of berries - but why is it claimed to be "not regenerating" (reasons here possibly)


Grave of George Herbert 5th Earl of Carnarvon


It is all pretty much explained in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_Hill,_Burghclere,_Hampshire

A recommended stop - especially if it means that you miss the Oxford rush hour - 60 minutes on Beacon Hill or 60 minutes stationary in your car?  No contest.

Next time I am going to stop at Seven Barrows field where  Sir Geoffrey de Havilland made his first successful test flight on 10 September 1910.

No comments: