27 August 2012

Busman's Bank Holiday


I was going to run the Moel Fammau Mountain Race in North Wales - but severe weather warnings and bank holiday traffic meant that I wimped out instead and went to the local Bus Museum
It seems that severe weather is now the standard for late August bank holiday.

On arrival at the event car park I asked "is it possible to walk from here", "well yes, but there is a bus""I am happy to walk rather than wait""A bus will be along in a couple of minutes" ...ahh, oops, my bad - the vintage bus went three and a half sides of a square to get to the site of the Museum and the

"30th birthday of the National Association of Road Transport Museums - buses from all over the country will provide a dazzling display with chances to grab a ride on one or two!"

An interesting demographic - plenty of "Under 10's" and "Over 60's" but not many in between.  There seemed to be lots stalls, patronized by older gentlemen in search of 'photographs"

Black and White Bus Photos @ 80p per seemed popular
I thing the bonnet badges/hood ornaments were nice

Nothing new under the sun - Birmingham Corporation had a hybrid electric vehicle in 1913 and beating the Toyota Prius by 84 years


Fancy going on a tour to Rome in this bus - in 1950 it was booked to take a party of nuns on a Holy Year pilgrimage, if you include being winched onto and off the ferry it too 18 days there and back.

The first model-T bus on (The Isle of) Lewis - delivered to the current owner's uncle (or possibly great uncle) as just a chassis and engine the cab and passenger accommodation was put together by a local fishing boat builder.  Several more were constructed in the same way - but this was the first.  A long trip down to Birmingham (600 miles according to Google)
Our school bus was a Bluebird - took me to my first every orienteering race in spring 1975 - though I doubt if it started its life in Aberdeen.

I used to work in Keynsham - so I stuck my head inside for a look at 969 EHW and there was...

John Toms - senior tradesman from Somerdale Factory - with whom I worked in the 1990's

Another coincidence.

No comments: