19 August 2012

August Sunday

It is August and I should be making the most of the weather and the daylight but I can't move having run two (yes two) ARDF races on Saturday, so it is a day at home in Bournville (wake up and smell the chocolate)...

There is a Nuthatch 2 metres from me and, yes, that is an inertia reel safety belt (Citroen CX 1990)

and he/she can't hear me, see me, touch me, smell me (almost a Tommy reference there - I did enjoy the Olympics closing ceremony - despite what some of my Facebook friends said about Jessie J (strapping lass) and the Pinball Wizard intro is hard to beat

I went away to the Olympics and then directly to Hungary - on return my house is strangely clammy and humid  - so out comes the datalogger - yes 80% relative humidity is definitely not right, sensor in the kitchen says it is only 56% outside so 80% inside needs an explanation

Way back in May (HOC event at Brown Clee) Uncle Robert gave me his tiny "runt" tomato plant - now it is an eight foot Triffid

Uncle Robert departs the start at Brown Clee

Isn't England nice in May - I know why the Boynes chose this spot for home.

I met the Old Viscount at a Harlequins Orienteering Event - he was explaining to some children how, on his mother's side, his great-great-etc.-great grandfather had fought at the Battle of Hastings, with William, and in reward had been offered land in The Marches (to defend against the Welsh) and upon seeing the view from the slopes of Brown Clee decided "this is the spot".  We are very fortunate to be able to visit the estate every year or two - if I am lucky I have 10 visits remaining.  It is (almost) my favourite place in the world.


anyway here is the Tomato Giant in its new home

And the immediate effect on house humidity - back below 60% and into the comfort-not-clammy zone. Who would have though less than a kg of plant could have such an effect.

and all this for just three tomatoes: a bit worried the shock of going outside will do for my plant - there are not many fruits yet but lots of flowers (and now I understand about the toothbrush trick) - so I have attached RD&Q's* €450 MSR logger - to track temperature, humidity, pressure and acceleration (though frankly I am not expecting much rapid movement from Mr Tomato)
*Research, Development and Quality - but when the going gets tough they still call for an Engineer (posting to follow on the subject of "Cracking Biscuits in Székesfehérvár)

Gyori Keks in Székesfehérvár - the man from Cadbury is here, and yes the biscuits were cracking (in the Wallace & Gromit sense, not physically ) - meaning "excellent" - these folks really know how to make a biscuit.

and to finish off the day - Dr Who A Christmas Carol which is a whole lot better on second viewing - such clever dialogue and so many cultural references.  In 50 years (nearly) of Dr Who my two (three really) favourite companions - The Pond-Williams'es (Amy and Rory) and Romana 1 (sadly a recent, and young, death)



No comments: