01 September 2012

Strange sight over Selly Oak

Item 1

Walking home I saw a small-medium twin-prop aircraft circling low over Selly Oak. Very strange.  Not going anywhere - just circling.  Not a type I recognized - about the size of a Dornier 228 but a different shape.  Certainly not in police markings and not on any approach/departure/holding vector for Birmingham Airport

Not one of these (Source: Wikipedia)
Item 2

Seeking cockpit ornaments for my little SAAB - I came across this on Ebay


hmmm - Percival Pembroke - what does that look like?

That's the plane I saw yesterday (Source: Wikipedia)

and the explanation is that Air Atlantique Classic Flight operate Percival Pembroke (G-BXES/XL954) from Coventry Airport.  Seems likely that what I saw was a pleasure flight - circling over the home of one of the passengers.

The moral of the tale? Park the question in medium term storage and the answer will turn up soon enough.

Another coincidence - this news article...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19451046
read this morning - and this picture seen while following links from the Air Atlantique Wikipedia page.

I suppose it is good for survival if part of your brain is always looking for links and causes - even if much of what is detected is nothing more than random coincidence.


No comments: