04 March 2012

Oakhanger - #1 on the Kremlin's list

My father built a house in Oakhanger - it was 1962.  I we had known that shortly after the main satellite up/down link for the MOD would be built in the village - perhaps we would have chosen somewhere else.

Entering Oakhanger - 400 year old cottages, 40 year old "golf ball"
The Red Lion - where it nearly all ended
There used to be a Cadbury Chocolate vending machine - 6d for a bar I think.  Little Granddad bought me a bar and left me in my pram while ordering a pint.  On returning discovered that I had eaten bar, silver foil and wrapper - luckily without choking.


Under Construction

1962?
2012 - the tree and garage both came down a few years back
There is my Dad's signature
The current owners were in - a little surprised - but very welcoming.  It seems that my 1962 experiences (and many photos) were repeated by their son shortly after they moved in in 1984.


Me
Him

View from the kitchen window - I remember looking out and seeing Farmer Brown's tractor ploughing.  That is Selborne Hanger on the skyline
Once on my onw two feet I used to take a trip down to Binswood Farm to visit my friends the Trorts.  Mum used to phone up "He has just left" and then Mrs T would look out for me - my first "orienteering" at two years old.

Track down to Binswood Farm

Here is the farmhouse - I remember my first introduction to vegetable marrow and the two dachshunds bringing rabbits (dead and bloody) for the family

The old barn is still there - where we used to play in the hay - and the turkey/pig shed is now a "One bedroom bungalow" on the market for...


....



Binswood at the end of the track is now a Woodland Trust property - this is where we went to collect firewood for bonfire night - so big and mysterious (when you are under 4 that is)
"Now designated a site of special scientific interest, this is one of just a few remaining lowland woodland pastures outside the New Forest still sustained by traditional grazing of commoners’ stock.
As a result it provides a glimpse of the landscape as it may well have looked in medieval times, a combination of species-rich ancient woodland, unimproved grassland, scrub and ancient oaks and beech trees."

and there is even a court case covering this special land use


Common Land—“Spurious” Easement—Animals

journals.cambridge.org/production/action/cjoGetFulltext?fulltextid...
by D MACINTYRE - Related articles
stint of cattle by virtue of owning and occupying Binswood Farm. In August 1971 some of their cattle strayed from the common into the garden of Sprat's cottage, ...

No comments: