10 March 2012

March in the Marches

Today we ran in Malvern - lovely warm day and a real buzz at the event - I am not sure Urban is for me - I have got to get my navigational speed up...

and next time - wear some gaiters

Its strange but Urban O seems to have more "impact": like the (insert city name here) urban-O race is a real event (in the normal meaning of the word not the meaningless-slog-round-a-bit-of-bramble-infested-poorly-planned-mud sense).

Speaking with another (M50+) runner after the race he missed the point when I said "this is the future of orienteering" - I meant - this is where the youngsters are - and when all the current M/W50+ are M/W70+ there will be few folks doing classic orienteering. It was great to see so many juniors and M/W21 at the race today.

For example I ran a really excellent classic race last week down in Sussex - but out of 130 competitors on the top 4 courses there were 7 M21 and the course winners were M35, M45,M50, M50

I am not sure that Urban-O is really for me - but I had a most excellent time - thank you Hartmans.

No more photos because I was on "control guarding duty" - it was meant to be "Pond Patrol"

"Pond Patrol, I'm on Pond Patrol - do I need to bring my wetsuit? (I have only a silver standard lifesaving badge - and that is from 1975). Here is a photo of me on Pond Patrol at March in the Marshes "



or perhaps I will get lucky and it is this Pond that I will be patrolling...


In the end Barry found the stolen control hidden in a dumpster - just 10 metres from its original location - complete with SI unit, gripple, cable and attached bush


No comments: