05 March 2012

"Behold the only thing greater than yourself"


OK in "Roots" the baby was raised up under the African night sky and told "Behold the only thing greater than yourself" - but we were in Surrey - so it was the Devils Punchbowl...

On the way home from the hospital my parents brought me here for my first sight of the outside world - I was born 50 years ago today

The view today
Then


and now
The A3 now runs in a tunnel - here they are filling in the old cutting with spoil saved from the tunnel dig


It has only been a few months since the tunnel opened - and here is the main London-Portsmouth Road

Former A3 - Devil's Punchbowl, Hindhead
I went for a bit of a run - it was cold and windy - and the hills were steep - but there were folks to talk with and to share the story of my first visit.  In return I learned about the local history - there is a LOT - this has been a special (and dangerous) place for centuries.

Then it was off to Haslemere...

Wow - its my nursery - SatNav took me this way and I recognised it 46 years later.

Still a nursery school - bet they don't still have a wind up record player (music and movement was fun when it ran slower-and-slower), nor a very strict and severe lady in charge.

...If this is the nursery then "Glovers" must be opposite - I don't remember the shop being like this but it is here my mother used to buy dress patterns, funky pinking shears and stuff to make Seamus O'Shaun - I had this EP as well:



And here is where it all started - Haslemere Hospital.
 You can tell it is Surrey - cottage hospital, no charge for parking, lovely grounds, peaceful and quiet - the NHS as its most affluent

No comments: