03 July 2011

You Have Failed: Too Dumb to Use the serf (oops self) service checkout...

Perhaps it is the 'pressure' - of folks behind you in the queue or not wanting to make mistakes but my first experience with Sainsbury Self Service Checkout was humbling...




the nice computer voice says:
"Press Start, Select Own Bags, Place bags in packing area, unexpected item in packing area call attendant! "

For some reason the computer does not like the bag I have brought from home...

Attendant places small scrap of paper on laser scanner and removes and replaces my bag.  I start scanning


"beep, pizza, beep, wine, beep unknown item! unknown item, unknown item, unknown item, call attendant,"


At last it completes and asks me to pay...



I think they need to work on the user interface - no single person got through the entire process without the long suffering attendant needing to 'attend' - he says " - work or home - its all the same...I get nagged all day by this computer, and then all evening when I go home"

The Pizza and 1/2 price wine will be consumed in 10 minutes - while I am watching Goodfellas (my consultant surgeon neighbour has an impressive collection of bloody Mob Movies)

No comments: