25 July 2011

Free as the air on... Alderney

So close but so different - Guernsey is town-and-country, Sark is a private fief, Herm feels like beach holidays and Alderney - a bit "Faeroes".

It was foggy and cloudy in Guernsey (apparently all day) - so our take off was delayed - just a few miles away it was sunny on Alderney (definitely all day)

I flew with Aurigny with is Alderney in the local language...

The 'co-pilot' works for the airline as a despatcher - but has never been to Alderney


The doors are so flimsy I think in a panic I could kick my way through






CO-detector - I remember the pilot talking about this during my first ever flight (Lydd Airport) - "If that goes black then we are dead" - reassuring I'm sure.


Sunny over the island


On the ground in Alderney - its a Trislander


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney
Gannets


They seek him here they seek him there, is he in heaven or is he in hell - that damned elusive...
Anagallis Arvensis




Monday lunchtime during the school hols - and the teenage beauties are engaged in making one cafe latte last as long as possible.
This cafe seems to be the entertainment and social centre for the island's female youth - perfectly placed half way round my perimeter walk - I can't remember what I had for lunch but the big mug of tea was most welcome.



This is where the male youth spend their free time - and blasting round the lanes on noisy scooters
 There is a stunning amount of traffic on Alderney - considering that you can walk anywhere at all from the centre in about 20 minutes.

View of over to France - there is an oil refinery/chemical works - hence the brown smudge
 When on Alderney be careful which service your phone connects to - its perfectly possible to get a signal from/to France


View out of a German Bunker/Observation Point - part of the Atlantic Wall
 There is still lots of (mostly concrete) evidence of the occupation on Alderney - mostly now used for Bunker Parties

I am sure I took some more photos - in the end I did not have time to get to the East end of the island.



Its a dinky little airport - and between flights - very quiet
I had a nice meal and a cup of tea (with Mr and Mrs Security) - when the plane landed it all went secure, the passengers were processed and boarding took about 3 minutes


No such a good seat this time



Main runway


Oops - still cloudy over Guernsey


So we went round and round in circles for a while - that is Herm below


Nice Plane! This one took me to Jersey

No comments: