18 May 2011

The Queen is in Dublin and I am in the Restaurant

I nipped in to the restaurant at the beginning of my run this evening - it was set up with two huge tables and just one tiny one in the corner with just room for one chair - which I reserved and they were happy to reserve for me - I know this place and I know that it meets my first three rules of eating out (see below) and I know that as a single guest I will get served quickly (those at the big tables won't notice 5 minutes delay).

Rule 1: Never eat in a restaurant that revolves or floats
Rule 2: Never eat in a restaurant that is more than 10 metres above the ground (include in this "you need to take a cable car to reach it" and any restaurant with a particularly nice setting, view or overlook)
Rule 3: Never eat in your hotel dining room (I know this to my cost)

So it is Bon Soir to the waiter and Dobry wieczór to the waitress.  Also a good sign - the big table is occupied by ex-pat French - discussing the menu with the head waiter...


This is remoulade of Dover Sole - on the menu because the sole sold so well they did not have enough left for "mains" this evening



'Alibut with celeriac puree


Creme Brulee (sublime), A Whiskey and my favourite travel book - where you will find the three rules

So it was €70 on the plastic and Dobranoc and handshakes all round and see you in two weeks....

...and my oh so cool overseas colleagues, who ignoring my advice, thought they could swan in to a Malahide restaurant on a sunny evening without booking and at 21:30 ended up eating tired plastic packed BLT sandwiches from the Eurospar minimarket next door

No comments: