07 May 2011

At last a really really nice 'call centre experience'

I first heard about National Counties from Uncle Robert. Founded as the Fourth Post Office Mutual Society in 1896, it was renamed as National Counties in 1972 and its membership no longer limited to Post Office staff.
 
They have remained mutual, only have one branch, they only do personal savings and residential mortgages.  Their ISA rates have been consistently competitive.  They have never been bailed out by the government.

Most things you need to do can be done through the website or post but on both occasions when I have had cause to call I have got through directly to a real person (in less than two rings) and that person is based in the UK and we understand each other first time.  No "press #5 to speak to an agent, #6 if you have lost the will to live", no music on hold, no "I will have to check with my supervisor", no dodgy low bandwidth connection to a crowded Bangalore sweatshop.

Amazing!




No comments: