10 March 2013

What is living in my header tank?



Mechanical engineers, though often dull and boring, do have their uses - Mr Peter Hill tells me I should treat my system with...


Sentinel X400 - because a) it works and b) it is less harmful than some of the traditional products when (eventually) tipped down the drain
Result - within half an hour my central heating, including boiler is silenced and all my radiators are toasty warm... but what is this living in my header tank...

This is just the filler/expansion tank - I guess water flows in and out as the central heating warms/cools, generates gas and flows in from the mains as water evaporates from the surface.  Something seems to have been metabolising the iron in the system and depositing it in the header tank.


A lump of jelly.  At first I suspected a mouse or similar had fallen in (I did find a desiccated slug trapped int he rock wool loft insulation and I have had wasps nests)


Another lump of jelly

This one seems to have grown filaments 
Hmmmm - is it living or is it the Fernox I put in some years ago?

No comments: