11 February 2012

Gear Shop Event Horizon/ Self Maintaining Recession



You can never have too much Gore-Tex

While I am waiting for my blackcurrant cake to bake (it smells rather nice already but I had to cheat on some of the recipe ingredients so I hope it is going to be OK - substitute mace for cinnamon, olive oil for 1/3 of the butter and extra fruit in lieu of apple and orange zest)  I thought I would have a look online for a new fleece and some base layer...

There was a time when every spare high street property in places like Betws-Y-Coed  was turned into a camping/climbing/outdoor shop - Cotswold had two outlets, the teashop did a nice line in Paramo and even the garage at Capel Curig seemed to be selling more waterproofs than tanks-full.




Well the bubble has really burst - what a disappointment - a few years ago the manufacturers had amazing ranges lots of choice and lots of colours - I did wonder how anyone could need that much variety but the shops stocked a good proportion of the range - at least on-line.

Not anymore - when you click through most of the clothes are available only in one colour and limited sizes - even though much of the stock is at least 50% discounted I am unable to find what I want/need.  I have looked and looked - even if i can find something on a manufacturers website - I can find no one who sells it.  So I'm not going to buy anything - so folks are going to stock less and shops are going to close and so on round and round...


First of many? - article here


No comments: