29 July 2012

No 'O' today - so its the Enville 10K

Enville Sheepwalks is where a very early Harlequins event was to be held - it was in the calendar for ages back in the late '60s - but as far as I can tell it never took place -  perhaps the offer of Kinver Million was preferred.

While at the Wenlock Olympics I was told about the Enville 10k - so I thought I would go take a look as normally there is very little access. It is a lovely estate - and would make a great place for a relay (as long as someone has the time to make a LOT of fence crossing points)


M3WDD at the Enville 10K - yes this is the steep bit - I walked it all on the second time around
It is a two lap course - each lap with 115m of climb in the first 2km and then, pretty much, all downhill after that
The race take place on the last Sunday of July and starts at 10:00am.  If there is no orienteering on - then I will be back next year - and in 2013 I will run up the hill both times


back in 1857 Enville was considered the finest cricket ground in the county - superior even to Lords

 and afterwards to the Kinver & West Midlands Society of Model Engineers 50th anniversary celebration - where I met my radio tutor (Ron Swinburne M0WSN)  - what a surprise, learned all about the Bridgenorth Trevithick Engine - steamed up but not yet running on rails and generally had a good time.
A cold war era Radio Relay Wagon - rescued and restored by my Radio Tutor - for weeks at a time this would have been out in the West German countryside - containing two bored squaddies and towing a pair of 5kW generators.

No comments: