17 July 2012

I've been a very naughty boy*

This is my very last 100W incandescent bulb
I found this box of 4 at Aldi - must be remnants from the very last manufacture in 2009.  I am down to the last one.  Boo Hoo.

I turn my hall and landing lights on when need them and off when I don't need them.   A problem with CFL - as they still take an age to warm up and they certainly do not a) produce anywhere near the quoted equivalent light output nor b) last the rated number of hours when cycled 5+ times a day.  So I reckon in this application an incandescent is the best option - one denied me by the EU.

I took a range of CFL in to work and tested them against the quoted equivalent incandescent bulb - must be some new laws of physics as the CFL were always significantly dimmer than the equivalent incandescent.  To get "60W" of light output I needed to use a 75 or 100W CFL - what a con.

I suppose I need to wait until LED lamps are produced in the same form factor and at competitive cost.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_the_Messiah_%28He%27s_a_Very_Naughty_Boy%29

1 comment:

M6MDD said...

We have a collection you are welcome to when you visit in August.
Various types and sizes, mostly of unknown functionality.