09 October 2011

So its off to Sicily - mostly for Eating!


Sicily sits at triple crossroad: History, Culture and Geography.  I am going there to enjoy the fruits of 2500 years of colonisation and invasion...


It all starts very early in the BMI Business Lounge in Terminal 1 Heathrow
Still dark outside - nice breakfast tho.

Seriously - who are they trying to kid?

I was not paying attention boarding my flight to Milan - until someone tugged at my trouser leg as I walked past - it was Carla - on her way to a meteorological conference - also in Sicily

I have known Carla for 15years - what a coincidence - turns out there were three folks from Brother-In-Law Erik's work on the plane

Some Alps

The North Italian Plane

Ground Marshalling Italian Style

Aha - I know this bit of the plane very well indeed - even the number is the same as the AerLingus model

All calm over Italy

Major squalls over Sicily - the clouds were very tall and as we lined up to land the pilot suddenly pulled up hard and turned to starboard - you can see the other plane to the left of the boat.

I am glad we went round in a circle - otherwise I would not have seen this waterspout

I'm glad I flew Lufthansa and not Alitalia - though with the closing of the LH hub at Milan my choices for next year's trip are going to be fewer.  I think this is an MD82

Corleone - not far now

There it is on the hill

View from my hotel

Nice Starter

Fantastic - sort of a Pasta-Stew - tasty and hearty - the menu said it was a local specialty and "Grandma" was very please that I liked it.
There was a very noisy children's party in the restaurant - this seems to be a common thing with Italian kids - LOUD! - they did not seem to mind that I did not understand them - I had a wonderful one-way conversation with one little girl.

I retired to my room - where I watched "The Godfather" - quietly.

No comments: