07 August 2011

A short trip over the mountains and down the Llŷn

A final blast in Black Saabath before the big rebuild...

Red = Dull, Yellow = Pleasant, Green = Engage Turbo Mode!
I have never walked the Nantle Ridge in anything but 10m visibility hill fog...

Mynnydd Drws y Coed from Y Garn
...Looks like I'll have to make another visit...


Trum Y Ddysgl
I should have believed yr.no and not Met Office Mountain Weather Forecast which said the cloud would be above the summits...

View NW from Y Garn

View S from Mynnydd Drws y Coed

View SW from Trum Y Ddysgl


View SW from Trum Y Ddysgl - 30 seconds later
Time to bug out - on my way back down I met www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk - behind whom I had been stuck passing over the Berwyns (the URL is emblazoned on the rear of his car) - it is the Y Garn fell race - and it turns out I vaguely know some of the runners.  I mention to one of the marshals that I am now just and orienteer and he asks me what my call sign is "A lot of you orienteers are radio amateurs" - and yes he is a retired, ex-military ARDFer and former record holder for the Nijmegan

You can just see me behind runner 101


The Llŷn is a very special place - and unfortunately a bit crowded in August - so I stopped just for a nostalgic walk along the special pebble beach at Aberdaron - to add a few more to my collection (from 35 years ago).  History for this area is fascinating - read about it here


Jasper on Aberdaron Beach

Sand Martin Colony - on Aberdaron Beach

Stranded Jellyfish and Pebbles on Aberdaron Beach
Fronoleu Hotel

After fruitless search for a garage that a) sold super-unleaded and b) was open I ended up in Dolgellau at the Texaco garage - who told me where I could get the fuel I needed - but the next day

So I thought I will pop in the Fronoleu for a meal and then camp at Dinas Mawddwy and hit the garage that DID serve the correct sort of petrol when it opened.

However I fell in with some Dutch tourists (worst sort, bad influence) and it took so long for our (spectacularly good) meals to arrive it became far to late for arriving at campsites and, by now, it was raining and there was a bottle Lagavulin in the bar... so I took the last room at the inn...


Local Welsh Lamb with Redcurrants in a pastry parcel with gravy - sublime!

A proper breakfast
This means my Volvo would be banned if I had more than two passengers
Resting before driving over the highest pass in North Wales

From Wikipedia:

The Bwlch y Groes is also known as the Hellfire Pass, and was used between and after the wars by the Austin Motor Company and the Standard Triumph Motor Company to test prototype cars and their performance during Hillclimbing.[2] The southern ascent of the Bwlch y Groes, which is approximately 1.7 miles long with severe gradients throughout (steepest 1 in 4), was renowned throughout the 1970s and 80s as the most challenging climb used in the Milk Race round-Britain cycle race.

A tough climb for Black Saabath - so a little rest was in order to let the engine cool down
Super Unleaded and £1.42/litre but boy was I glad to see this garage

No comments: