18 August 2011

An evening in Dublin on the DART or I went for the Craic and came away with underpants

I have been coming to Dublin for several weeks now - but never closer to the centre than Coolock.

The Dublin Area Rapid Transit - is pretty swish and pretty rapid - does not appear to follow the timetable much though.  Just 20 minutes from my seaside hotel to Tara Street and the centre of the cultural/tourist district.
I think we may be in Ireland

There certainly were tourists and they were certainly well catered for - packed bars and packed restaurants, the periodic thermal blast from glowing patio heaters (for the smokers) and the jingle-jingle-jiggy-jig-jig of Celtic music from open doorways.


But not much for the solo traveller looking for a quiet pint and a quiet meal.  There was however a Marks and Spencer - so my "in case of lost luggage" stash was added to in the form of a pack of granddad-style white briefs.
The bar in Temple Bar


On a side street I found a quiet and just about to close cafe - where I had a rather nice parsnip salad with vegetarian lasagne and a long conversation with the proprietor - from the accent I assumed she was from Dublin - but no, from Baile Felix in Romania where I will be in two weeks time for the ARDF championships


No comments: