01 April 2011

Victorian Excess and A Very Lonely Confluence



The Royal Marine Hotel Dunoon - site of the first telegraph office in Scotland and where my cousins Chris and Kirsty had their wedding reception (I made the wedding but not the ceilidh after - feeling ill - but retrospectively probably social anxiety - I am over that (mostly) now). Also the location for Kirsty's parents courtship - when it was the yacht club headquarters.



The hotel is Victorian with later modifications and is right opposite the ferry terminal from Glasgow - it was built to impress (more of which later) and it certainly does. Thankfully there has has not been any "changing-rooms" style makeover - its still pretty much original - the HUGE bathrooms, the stained glass, the trophy cabinets and Scottish-Baronial trimmings. I spent an hour getting a grand tour from the owner/manageress and ALL the history.

Map of Clyde Steam Ferry Routes - its original!
I am at HUNTERS QUAY and I am going to take the COLINTRAIVE ferry to Isle of Bute
And then a short drive to Rothesay
 Rothesay is special to me as I lived in Rothesay Avenue whilst at Nottingham University - no 11 I think.  I have checked it out in Street View and its still there.

Colintravie Ticket Office
 The highland ferry ticket offices seem to be staffed by cheery grandmothers, straight out of Dr Finlay's Casebook - always up for a natter while you are waiting for the
(Colintraive) Ferry

In case you forget where you are...

 Of course the other reason for visiting Rothesay is the gentlemens convenience... famous the world over, a national monument built to REALLY IMPRESS visitors just off the ferry from Glasgow.  I am told that ferry captains used to race - each company claiming to have the fastest service to the islands - got a bit serious and there were "incidents"

Anyway - the loo - its number 4 in the world top ten urinals





British hydraulic engineering at its best!

On a nice summer day Rothesay must be busy - but not on April 1

War Memorial, Rothesay - so many didn't come back

The impressive bauhaus-inspired pavilion of 1938 - history explained to me by the nice lady with the umbrella - is used for dances now
There is a poignant bronze of little Lena in the visitor centre - very sad
No one on the promenade
And absolutely no one on the promenade deck
 I took the ferry to Wemyss Bay - very nice and friendly staff - and finally I got to eat the masterpiece that is the...

Scotch Pie
I'm now running out of time (and possibly daylight) as I rush down the cost to visit N055W005 - only visited twice - the second visitor writes "This one is not for the faint-hearted and I can see now why no-one has visited it since Gordon's initial visit - I almost gave up on several occasions."

Its a very deserted spot!
 The day before I had taken a picture of the route on "www.streetmap.co.uk" - if my camera battery ran out (as it has started to do - randomly) - I would be stuck!

very very deserted


Its in there somewhere

Success!


The visit is here: N55W005 and it was now getting rather...

Dark
A cold and blowy jog through the gloom - I have to be with my cousins in Carlisle by 19:30 - we are eating out with the practice staff.  The A75 was a nightmare - so much traffic but my Sat-Nav took me off onto the A712 - zero traffic and right through Galloway Forest Park - OK driving my Volvo tank is NOT quite the same as my SAAB 93 Aero but it still can get a shift on - lovely.  I arrived with 10 minutes to spare, had a bit of a sponge down in the car, got changed and made the event just-in-time.

No comments: