30 June 2013

SOG 'D' (QM) HQ LITA


Team Harlequins @ Harvester 2013
(click on the photos for a full size version)






7 leg night orienteering relay: I am on first leg @ 00:05, time to hydrate - what? The rest of my team are drinking wine!



...and sharing Sticky Toffee Pudding


Researching the final control - I got the fastest split on my gaffle/gaffel

Originally organised by friends who "combined to harvest trophies"

Cake-Of-Mortality Section

No captions - just observe the expressions 











Normal Service Resumed

Add caption









Padre Brian gestures a blessing to map and next leg runner





Another course, another deep and muddy marsh

Post title explained
I ran 11.5km (gps) for an 8.5km (nominal) course - when normally I would expect to only be about 10% over as measured by gps.  Explanation:

A) There was a lot of bracken - so I went round most of the time
B) There was a lot of bracken and the controls were hung very low indeed

This was mostly my fault - having crossed the ride, end of the spur and noted the pit I was mislead by what I think is an un-marked very shallow north-south ditch and then wallowed around in head high bracken for 5 further minutes (now absolutely last and did not see another competitor for 20 minutes

Careful bearing from the wide ride/path junction and then pace in... what no control?  Look up and down the re-entrant - nope - relocate off the path and marsh to the south.  The control kite was VERY low down in the vegetation.

Getting just a little miffed with the control visibility.  Relocated off the path to the west and then down the raised area.  Never saw the shallow gully at all.


 Here is the whole course (click for larger size)




No comments: