22 June 2013

I love it when a plan comes togeth... err oops!

Training this month has been all about running a PB at my 50th parkrun - and at my home parkrun - Cannon Hill.  A fast run at Aberystwyth, followed by tapering down this week had me in good shape for a Saturday morning sub 19:30.  I even had written down my target splits on a scrap of paper and adjusted my Garmin to show lap speeds (target 3:49)



And then what did Birmingham Parks Department do?

Build two two metre high fences across the parkrun course - no explanatory notices - just a fence by The Mac and another on the small bridge some 200m further north.  No chance to safely squeeze round this second and no way parkrun can go ahead on its official measured 5000m route.  A great way serve ~350 rate paying residents.

It has been rumoured several times that Birmingham City Council do not like parkrun - which may explain why in a city of a million souls there is just Cannon Hill.

What to do?  I paced out an alternate route and then the standard route tracks either side of the bridge.  6 double paces difference - that ~10 metres - times two because we normally cross the bridge twice - and the organisers moved the start back 12 of my paces.

Result?  PB of 19:22 and on my 50th parkrun - so it is cakes next week - when I will be tail-runner and will get a PW*






...and with that all out of the way - it is time to start training for Poland (http://www.ardf2013.pl/) in September

...training for Poland...



*Personal Worst.

No comments: