13 April 2013

Close but no Cigar, only Cardiology

The story behind this result...

Parkrun is addictive. Woke up at 06:00 this morning feeling "right crook" - I should really give parkrun a miss.  Just in case I had my early breakfast and re-hydration - and by 08:20 I felt OK to "turn up and start and if I end up walking...".

Starting near the back is strange, beyond even the grey-haired-but-built-like-a-whippet super vets and right in the middle of the social runner, joggers, wobblers and keen-to-get-fit.

Within 500m I caught up with my friend Liz Connolly (aka Naylor) - who since we last orienteering together has had time to raise two kids (one to near adulthood) and has taken up fell running.  Liz commented that there no 25 minute pacemaker this week - and she was determined to better her previous run and go sub 25.

"I'll be your pacemaker!"

Using my watch and course knowledge (Cannon Hill is about 5.08km long by GPS and starting at the back adds about another 40m) I set a steady pace and at the final turn we were about a second up on schedule.  Judging by determined but near asthmatic breathing coming  Liz was nearing her limit - no point in sprinting and as she passed me I counted us down the last 100 metres, crossing the line in 25:00 exactly meaning Liz one place in front would be sub 25.

What a disappointment - but on closer inspection my watch said 25:00.83 and then there is my reaction time starting the watch.

On the positive side - Liz still has a target to aim for,  I felt fine running at 5 mpk so I will go orienteering tomorrow and I think next time I feel a bit slow I will volunteer as pacemaker...

On returning home there was a little surprise...

Unrequested and Unexplained Cardiology Appointment

I am running very well at present but it seems the Birmingham NHS appointments computer must have a psychic subroutine and knows something I don't because this is the  first I have heard about my "heart condition".   I have not been to the GP in about a year - and that was for dermatitis.

My (NHS) surgeon neighbour says I should take the appointment as I might not get a second chance and if I try to tell the NHS bureaucracy there has been an error very bad things could happen to me...

This is what happens when you point out that, as a result of a one letter spelling mistake, the wrong person has been 'eliminated' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_%28film%29)

No comments: