14 January 2011

Oh to live in Italy and eat "proper" every night

I really love Italian restaurants, I love the way that solo diners still get treated properly, I love the way that the chef pops out of the kitchen to discuss selections and propose new dishes with regular diners - and how Italian waiters are the best in the world.

On 14th January it was "Trattoria Di' Sordo" in Florence.  The literal meaning of which is "Inn of the Deaf" - strange.   Just around the corner from my nice hotel - Orcagna


 According to Wikipedia: A trattoria is less formal than a ristorante, but more formal than an osteria. There are generally no printed menus (tick), the service is casual (tick), wine is sold by the decanter rather than the bottle (tick), prices are low (sadly not as this is €-land), and the emphasis is on a steady clientele rather than on haute cuisine (looked that way to me). The food is modest and mostly following regional and local recipes (tick)

The real clincher for me was the ambulance outside and two members of the local paramedic fraternity stocking up for the long night ahead...


I had...

Anti-Pasti: Parma ham, salami and a tasty strong Pâté


No really the bland beans were an ideal accompaniment for the rich gravy. Simple and tasty
I skipped the pasta course - so there was room for panna cotta and a nice glass of grappa and finally


Espresso

and then a 5 minute walk to my nice comfortable bed

-Bliss-



No comments: