30 January 2011

Grrr... Garmin

Why do I keep buying Garmin?

I have bought three GPS units and they have all failed - the electronics have been perfect - it is the construction that lets them down - is this by design I wonder?

This post is about GPS - but I could write similar on Canon cameras and lenses - seems like paying £1000 still does not get you something that will last more than a couple of years (the EOS 350D camera suffered total power-loss (common complaint) and the lens has a design flaw - the iris ribbon cable flexes when you zoom - and then cracks (very common complaint), or Timex watches or Casio cameras - in fact any portable electronics at all.



The GPS first to fail was my E-trex summit (right) "The case is completely waterproof to withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes." - that might be be so when it is new but in warm climates the glue bonding the rubber rand to the hard plastic case goes "tacky" - the rubber starts to move about - and water gets in - my first unit failed while hiking in Sri Lanka on (a very rainy) Adams Peak - first I knew there was condensation inside the display and then no display at all.  Garmin replaced the unit f.o.c even though it was out of warranty - the replacement has a few missing pixels, the glue has given way (so I keep it in a plastic bag) and finally the battery contact wire snapped and ping-ed off into the undergrowth.  Not good in mist on top of the Carneddau - some aluminium foil from my packed lunch and pressing on the cells with my finger whilst using the unit got me safely out of the mist (see also "to MacGyver") .

The second was my Nuvi 360T (left) - the power switch is soldered on to the main circuit board - but there is no bracing support behind it - so eventually the wire legs bend and/or the solder breaks and then the on/off switch stops working.  Another common fault - mine failed after 10 months.  Garmin sent replacement unit - and this one failed after two years - out of warranty - so I split the case, cut out the switch cover, braced the switch with part of a cable tie and then sealed it up with duct tape.

So that is 4 out of 4 failed so far... and finally my Forerunner 350 (centre)

  • First the display got scratched - OK on a rock whilst orienteering in the Lake District. 
  • Then the beep went quiet - I suspect the piezo-buzzer is no longer in contact with the case (if it is like my failed Timex running watch there is a spring that ensures contact - and this fails) - problem is you can (easily) accidentally stop the timer and there is now no warning sound. 
  • If it rains the watch turns itself off - allegedly putting tape over the breather hole on back of the case will prevent this. 
  •  Finally one of the buttons went flat and squidgy and on pressing no longer made contact with the corresponding switch inside the case.  Fixed with a piece of silicone rubber eraser and more duct tape.



Friends tell me that the battery will go next - but there is a fix with an after market Nokia phone battery that just about fits - and will give greatly extended endurance.

Why do I keep buying Garmin - The internet leads me to expect no better performance from rival manufacturers and at least Garmin have replaced faulty units without fuss and, being a popular brand,  there is lots of help posted to the Internet by other sufferers.

No comments: