02 December 2012

Can anyone identify this spider

There is a rather unusual spider living just outside my front door.  I have never seen one like this in the UK.  Can anyone identify this.  The body is about 12mm across.  It does not seem to make webs - although when I slam the door shut it sometimes drops on a thread of silk.  I guess it is an active hunting spider - full complement of forward facing eyes...

Update: It seems this is the common garden spider - if so why have I never seen one before? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_garden_spider)


Can you identify this UK spider?


Lots of little eyes staring back at me

2 comments:

Gareth S said...

No idea on spiders! On another matter - Dref Gerrig! I remember holidays there as a child with such fondness. Do you know how I could go about taking my boys there? Kind regards, Gareth Sellors
Gareth.sellors@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

maybe an European Garden Spider or a similar species? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus

73 Didi