29 October 2010

"ladies and ladies... welcome to the Palace Theatre"


“Makes Mamma Mia! look like Chekhov. Insanely euphoric… wildly contagious”
Charles Spencer - Daily Telegraph
“There was one gag involving a man nicknamed Trumpet and a ginger nut biscuit that almost had me out of my seat and writhing helplessly in the aisle.”
Charles Spencer - Daily Telegraph
“Puts the Glory into Gloria and the Gay into Gaynor.”
Michael Coveney - The Independant


The last time I was in the Place Theatre was 1978 (or thereabouts) on a school trip to see Jesus Christ: Superstar.  We were right up in the gods - seating so steep it gave you vertigo and I eventually worked out that the very strong smell wafting back from a few rows down was my first whiff of "pot".

Priscilla - Queen of the Desert was, so we were informed, our chance to get in touch with our inner woman - well I had a great time but the father-with-wife-and-daughters next to me sat through the entire performance stony faced.

The Trumpet joke is very rude indeed!

A real buzz as we left - most of the audience was too young to have seen the film first time around and certainly way too young to have discoed to the music.

For future reference the show ended at 22:10 and I made the 22:45 from Paddington to Reading with about 5 minutes to spare.

No comments: