16 March 2009

My hotel in Moldova - the Cosmos - complete but with authentic character
I wouldn't want to stay in a western chain-clone hotel anyway

I'm not sure who the bloke on the horse is - I suspect a Russian general



City view at night



same by day



The instructions for the lift are extensive
and include the correct order of entry and exit
also what to do in the case of earthquake



The lobby seems to be frozen in a dark post Soviet time warp - ladies of a certain age with improbable blonde hair-dos, short men with short hair/short black leather jacket/short black trousers/shiny Italian style shoes engaged in conversation and trade, tired kiosks and dimly lit offices... I loved it. Staff very nice and helpful, though it helps if you select Latin alternatives rather than Anglo-Saxon: "deposit baggage" is almost perfect Moldovan - "left luggage" is not.



Transfers and Tours were organised by Carmina from Voiaj International Travel Agency
If they can handle taking 250 Swiss football fans to watch a match in "a country that does not (officially) exist" - they can handle your visit. The site is in Moldovan - but easily understandable even for a monoglot-English like me.

My trip was arranged by Carl at Regent Holidays - a very good travel company indeed, and one which I can recommend wholeheartedly.


No comments: