17 March 2012

A load of Polloks

Up early and away from the Premier Inn, Cambuslang - £29 a night and absolutely no hidden extras - Travelodge or Premier Inn? - Premier Inn every time. 

Glasgow - capital on Traffic Lights.  So many, so slow and so insensitive of time, day and traffic patterns.  That is the Celtic ground ahead - on the East of the City.

To Pollok Park in good time for Parkrun:Glasgow.
A really beautiful morning - I park down by Pollok House and jog back to the start.  Lots of fit and healthy looking folks walking, jogging, cycling - what a contrast with Hamilton last night.  The course passes through North Wood - there are several climbs - I finish 24th place - a minute slower than in Cannon Hill - too far back at the start and no way could I sprint downhill at the finish

Pollock House

And this is Glasgow Rangers - sadly going through a sticky patch financially - why does anyone think that lending money to a football club is every going to end happily - oh yes - I  know - the bankers never lend their money - they lend our money

Decided not to drive up the shore of Loch Lomond - much quieter via Helensborough - and here is Faslane - home to a small peace camp and a very large navy base.
Does Alex Salmond realise that once Scotland becomes the Peoples Republic of Alba - all we have to do is push the button - our Nukes are already stored at the target.

Beyond the base the loch side road is great fun to drive but not quite as good as...
Up the A83 to the "Rest and be Thankful"

A83 - just short of Inveraray, Loch Fyne on the left

Child labour at Collie Nathais


They don't make them like this in the West Midlands


OBAN: I remember this from 25 years ago - a Blake's Seven reference - but I thought it was on the other side of the road

This is my special room at the Rowantree.  Tomorrow I am off to Jura - where George Orwell wrote 1984 - spooky coincidence!
"The Best Fish & Chips I've ever tasted" - Rick Stein.  I can't disagree
Even though the restaurant was shut up for the evening they let me stay and eat my box of Haddock & Chips.  There is a very full menu - when next in Oban I will be back

No comments: